9.03.09 | Jon - Webmanager |
The atheist bus campaign is going international… Or to be more precise a whole bunch of different people all over the place have liked what we’ve done in the UK and are doing similar things in their own towns and cities. Here’s a round-up of the international developments!
- Bus Kampagne / Germany – the campaign to put buses on the streets in Germany (Köln, München, Berlin) is now online. Site visitors can choose their slogan and make online donations. Berlin and München transport authorities do not want the ads it seems, but the guys are determined to find alternatives.
- Uskomaton bussikampanja / Finland – the campaign for atheist buses on the streets of Helsinki. €3500 donated so far. News in English here.
- Atheïstische Reklamecampagne / Netherlands – a huge atheist advert on the side of the A4 motorway near Schipol airport.
- Atheist Bus (English) / Canada – buses in Toronto and Calgary, and even an atheist streetcar party (that means tram, folks), $46000 donated so far.
- Bus humaniste (français) / Canada – the Association Humaniste de Québec is running ads on buses in Montréal.
- Atheist Bus / Switzerland (DE | FR | IT) – local bus firms are resisting the advertisements, but this might also result in bans on religious advertising. Paypal donations are possible.
- Atheist trams / Croatia – ads appeared for 1 day on trams in Zagreb but were removed after complaints. Freedom of speech in a formerly communist country? News in Croatian here, Google translation from Slovenian here.
- Campagna Bus / Italy – despite some legal issues with the bus company the campaign continues in Italy, with €30000 raised so far.
- Bus ateo / Spain – buses in Madrid, Barcelona, Malaga with slogans in Spanish and Catalan.
- Atheist Foundation / Australia – a one-off bus after other ads were not permitted. Latest news here.
- Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign / USA – new campaign for buses in Bloomington, Indiana
- Freedom From Religion Foundation / USA – bus campaign in Madison, Wisconsin
- NYC Atheist Bus Campaign / USA – no website yet, but join the Facebook Group
- Why Believe in a God / USA – bus campaign in Washington, and also a new campaign in Seattle.
If there are other atheist buses anywhere else please do let us know in the comments!
We were invited to make a presentation at Re:publica ’09 in Berlin about the campaign. Here is the video of the presentation – click Jon’s face to start the video! Then fast forward 5 minutes into the video.